Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My neighborhood friends - the trees

Greetings all! I just got back from my holiday vacation in the culturally-rich nation of Ghana. I enjoyed the jollof rice with say cabbage, jovial hellos from the locals, and the national pride of the Ashante... And much more. But there is something that stuck out to me, that wiped some of the glimmer away from my respective of Ghana - trees.
As I made my way northward in the nation, I find myself utterly startled by the absen nature of the Ghanaian landscape. In Benin we're always told the deforestation is a problem that affects our country. We're told that is we do not plant trees, soon winds will displace up with their force, that the sun burn upon up still more harshly. In Ghana all these possible consequences are experienced. In Benin people often forcefully shew you into shady areas when the sun's around; in Ghana, people stood in the middle of the road or next to a boutique but felt the same thing - scorching heat. Perhaps there great people were use to the sun so thought nothing of it. But with the bit of Beninese I have governing my worldview, I was startled by their willingness to stand in heat. Shade is a value in Benin, Fruit from the trees (mangoes and such) are valued in Benin- the tree has so many positive functions. The lack of trees sent my mind and heart hurrying back to Benin, and my little house, where palm and mango trees are my actual neighbors. I love Ghana, but I love trees, always and everywhere; I hope the two can work towards being united a bit more. :)
Ghana's population is far greater than Benin's, I suppose that is the cause of its people carving landscapes into blank horizons. Whatever the case I say cheers to reforestation and Benin. I'm glad to be back in a land that depends upon trees retaining life. Love until... :) happy New Year, and Merry Christmas! :)

No comments: